Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hats


This Sunday I took another trip to the Muisenberg beach with two of my housemates, Phillip and Johannas. Phil is a 27 year old graduate from Western Michigan and Johannas is a 22 year old German who shares a room with me. Our fourth housemate, Andy, is 20 and goes to NC State. I had a pretty nice experience at the beach this time. We swam for a bit, and then kicked a soccer ball around for quite some time. The highlight of the trip, however, was my encounter with a local homeless man named Errian Kol (sp?). Anyways, he was walking around and decided to take a seat next to me. I was a little uneasy at first, but I soon understood that all he wanted was to chat, and maybe something to eat. We talked. I had no food for him, but I gave him a Coke. I told him where I was from, and he explained a little of his background. I learned that his mother’s mother’s great grandmother was a German, thus explaining his colouration. He really liked hearing about the United States. His first question to me was, “Have you ever seen Mariah Carey?” Sadly, I hadn’t. He really liked my Milwaukee Brewers hat, so I asked him if he wanted to switch hats. He really liked that idea. And so did I. I gave him my Brewers hat, and he gave me his faded green hat. We took a picture together, and then went our separate ways. I think we both were positively affected by the interaction. I told him that when I come back to this beach, I’ll wear my new green hat, and that he should wear his Brewers hat. That way, we can hopefully run into each other again. It was just a nice experience at the beach. I’m sure I’ll be back to that beach, and it'd be neat to run into him again. My new green hat has been very lucky at the house poker table, too! I've won 2 of the last 3 nights.

3 comments:

  1. great story....i like that it is also kid friendly. i'll share it with my class! you may not have met mariah carey, but did you tell him your sister was named mariah? that's the next best thing!

    also...i got skype and have been awaiting your acceptance. i am getting tired of waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I want to go to Muisenberg beach when we come to visit in March/April. It would be extra cool to run into a man with a Brewers hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course the guy is a monster brewers fan!! What a worldly team. The hat will go great with his Chris Capuano jersey

    ReplyDelete