Sunday, March 7, 2010

What Would I Want? Sky


First thing's first. The latter-half of "What Would I Want? Sky" by Animal Collective is so damn good! Also, on the topic of entertainment, I just watched "Fantastic Mr. Fox" again, and loved it again.

Sitting here, sweating to myself. Just another Sunday night. Had a fairly uneventful weekend. I'd say that the climax was probably the magical turning-on of my computer, who had been hibernating for the majority of this trip. I tried pulling an all-nighter Friday night so that I could skype with the 444. I ended up dozing off around 4 am, but a phone call came at about 7:30 am from Cameron, telling me to get my ass on skype! It was great to see a lot of my bros (Liesl, you are included in the bro category), despite my microphone leading to borderline incomprehensibility. Aside from this, the weekend was mainly just us spending too much time and money at Rascal's Pub. Watched soccer, conversed.

We did go down to Simon's Town for the day today. Phil, Andy, Johannas, Charlotte & I, that is. Took the train there, enjoyed the beach, then ate at a seafood restaurant that overlooks the water. The adventure came on our return trip. By the time we had gotten to the station, the train had stopped running, so we had to find some other way of getting back home. Taxi would've been far too expensive since we were probably 45 minutes out of town. We negotiated with a minibus driver to take us back, even though they typically don't drive all the way into Cape Town. This vehicle resembled our 15 passenger van from Pakistan, except that it was in far worse condition. The sliding door opened on the highway, so somebody had to permanently hold it shut. This van was very noisy, constantly rattling, and unable to absorb even the slightest of bumps. Personally, I had to go number 1 and 2, so that just magnified the discomfort for me. But things would only get worse... Halfway home, there was a loud bang and we could see tire shreds fly up. The driver swerved uncontrollably, then magically managed to pull to the side of the highway. We were lucky to pull over safely. Got out and driver tells us that he lent out his only spare tire earlier in the day. Great. At least I got to pee in a bush, which relieved half of my bodily discomfort. Thankfully, shortly after, another bus came, picked us up, and took us home where I would relieve the other half of discomfort. Here I am now. That, folks, sums up my weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of DVD downloads, are there any recordings of shows that you want us to bring with us to Cape Town?

    I just downloaded "What do you want? Sky?" and can say that I agree.

    ReplyDelete